Thursday 9 February 2012

Don't say the "v" word, she's single!


Well, its that time of year again….the shops are festooned in hearts, heart shaped balloons with more hearts printed on them, heart shaped chocolate, heart shaped cakes..pretty much everywhere you look there are hearts.

As a single girl I hate to say it, but Valentines Day utterly sucks!

If I want to book a meal at a city centre restaurant in the next few days I’ll be asked “would you like the Valentines Menu?” Erm, no I’d rather stick acid soaked lemon wedges in my eyes thanks. (paying double for my meal just because they have “Now That’s What I Call Romance” playing in the background, have switched the plastic flowers for plastic roses and offer awful heart shaped chocolates to me at the end of the meal instead of an After Eight is not my idea of fun)

If I need to go and buy a card for someone’s birthday I’ll be greeted by a wall of red and glittery naff-ness, bears holding hearts that proclaim “I heart u x amount”, a sea of clueless men staring blankly into the abyss as they compete with each other to buy the biggest (and most naff) card that will tell the unfortunate girlfriend/wife/significant other at home that for ONE day of the WHOLE year, they actually could be bothered to show how they feel.

And there folks, is my issue. Its ONE day of the year. If the person you are currently in a relationship with needs one specific day to tell you how they feel about you, then you either need couples therapy or you need to find a new partner.

I am not bitter because I am single, I am not bitter at all in fact. Even when in a relationship I don’t actually like Valentines Day.

Little things mean more to me than one (badly thought out) gesture on one day of the year. It would mean more to me for example, if my other half came home on a random Wednesday with my favourite bottle of wine or a bag of jelly beans “just because”.

I don’t need a day dedicated to love, because if I am in love then I can show it whenever, wherever and however I want to.

To those of you coupled up and desperately looking forward to Valentines Day, good luck to you….i saw a man in Asda a few days ago purchasing a pink baby-doll priced £6. I really hope it wasn’t for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment